Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Todays topic is : Linguistics, I guess.


So anyway I was going to write this whole thing about America’s cultural colonialism. But I won’t just now as, after parking my car outside next a Chevrolet, I am just about to eat some KFC and watch a Dawson’s Creek rerun.

But earlier today I noticed something. The BBC radio newsreader did something, which was then later repeated by both the Sky News and BBC TV News presenters.

They pronounced the word Baghdad with the accent on the first syllable. BAG-dad. What’s more the kind of softened the second ‘a’, putting a kind of ‘y’ sound in there. BAG-dayad.

For a moment I thought I’d accidentally tuned into WAGA channel 5 in Atlanta.

The rest of the news went as normal, featuring the pleasantly moderated regional British accents that are a traditional feature of our little nation's news coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment