Saturday, January 21, 2006

Todays Topic is : A Message to The Kaiser Chiefs


I am proud of the Kaiser Chiefs. They are from my hometown of Leeds (well, Ossett near Leeds, where I once had a job in a fibreglass fabrication factory. It was the second worst job I ever had, like having 24-hour whole body psoriasis) and they look, talk and behave like many of my friends. I can imagine knowing them in the sixth form at my school, or even being in their gang. When they talk, they talk about the places and streets that I know. I am also fairly certain that they recycle, visit their Mums when they can, are kind to animals and do stuff like drop into local Primary Schools to give out certificates. Let’s put it this way, I can identify with them way more than I can identify with, for example Mariah Carey or GG Allin.

I also really like their songs. Some people have dismissed them as second rate Blur impersonators, but I disagree. Their music is energetic and uplifting. They have their own voice that fits into that defiantly British strand that encompasses bands like The Members, The Kinks, Blur, Suede and The Smiths.

Good for them. They are a bit like the local sports team. Even if you don’t actually obsessively support them you kinda like it when they win. So when The Chiefs were the opening act of Live 8 in Philadelphia I felt a bit of a sense of civic pride. Those were our boys rocking the CoBL.

But now I want them to go away. I haven’t listened to their album for about five months and am teetering on the verge of being heartily sick of them.

Again, I don’t blame them at all for cashing in on their success and selling lots of records. They produced a whole song – I Predict a Riot – that, throughout 2005, acted as an alternative national anthem. This is much more than the 14 words that made Gram’ma Funk famous. But they are in grave danger of outstaying their welcome. I turn on the TV, it’s the Kaiser Chiefs, I get in the car and click the face onto the stereo. The radio fades in and it is the Kaiser Chiefs. I am currently listening to a football commentary (it’s Everton 1 Arsenal 0 at the moment) and the half time infill featured some trailers and previews for other matches soundtracked by The Kaiser Chiefs. AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

It’s Morning Glory syndrome all over again, it’s the Stone Roses first album. Both fine and deserving records, but even today, years and years later, I don't want to listen to them again. I had my fill.

So, Kaisers. Please piss off for a bit, possibly a year. Write another album. Put your feet up and enjoy your PRS cheques. Buy your Mums a new Lazy Boy. Spend time in the pub. Even get a job in the local fibreglass fabrication factory.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:20 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete